Five plants and flowers to keep away from your pets this Christmas

Christmas is the time to indulge, celebrate and have fun – and as part of the family, our dogs and cats will normally be enjoying some of the action too.

But the festive season also presents a world of hidden dangers to our four-legged friends, from toxic foods to dangerous seasonal plants.

To ensure your pets remains safe this Christmas, here's some useful Information to ensure you’re in the know about which dangerous plants and flowers to keep your pets away from during the festive season.

This list is not necessarily comprehensive. If your pet has eaten anything they shouldn’t have, or you’re worried about them at all, it’s best to get in touch with your vet straight away. They’ll be happy to advise you of the level of risk to your pet and how urgent it is that they are seen.

  • Poinsetta: (Euphorbia pulcherrima) This plant is mildly toxic to cats and dogs.
  • Amaryllis: (Hippeastrum spp) All parts are toxic to cats and dogs, but especially the bulbs.
  • Holly: (Ilex spp) All parts of the plant are toxic, and eating the sharp, spiky leaves can also cause damage to the throat, stomach or guts. Pets may be likely to try to eat the berries over winter.
  • Mistletoe: (Viscum album) Present all year round but typically brought into houses over winter. The berries are usually the most toxic part of the plant. Hang well out of reach.
  • Pine Needles are not particularly toxic, and a large number of them would need to be ingested, which is unlikely, before toxicity. However, they can cause irritation in the mouth and GI tract of your pet due to tree oils they contain, and because of their pointed structure.

What about your experiences?
What are your experiences? Do you have any advice for our readers?

Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/poochandcompany and join the conversation.